19 October 2014, Vol.1, No.70 > THE UNFAIR SCHOOL-TAX-LEVY!
The POCAHONTAS CRIER
‘When the Righteous succeed the people rejoice,
But when the bad govern, men groan!’ – Proverbs 29:2
[New Email address: email@example.com]
THE UNFAIR SCHOOL-
The disparity of trying to force another school-tax-levy upon Pocahontas County at this point in time is really appalling & then some! And the placing of SELF-PITY articles in the local ‘Pokey-Times’ is equally appalling! All anyone has to do is apply a LITTLE COMMON SENSE to understand the UNFAIRNESS of asking folks on FIXED-INCOMES, or those receiving MINIMUM-WAGES, or those unemployed, or those about to have their water-turned-off in Durbin & Marlinton pursuant to EXISTING FINANCIAL PRESSURES, etc., and all the other Common Sense Reasons surrounding folks on fixed-low-incomes to PLACE YET ANOTHER FINANCIAL BURDEN UPON THEMSELVES is more of an INSULT to the People of this County than a necessity! WHO CAN REALLY AFFORD YET ANOTHER FINANCIAL LOSS OF INCOME IN THIS COUNTY?
THE HIGH COST OF FINANCIAL BURDENS:
(1) The State of West Virginia takes 35¢ for EVERY GALLON OF GASOLINE and the Federal-Tax is close to 20¢ PER/GALLON of fuel regardless of how much gasoline anyone puts in their vehicle. So for every 10-gallons that’s $5.50 IN TAXES for what it once cost to fill-up the entire gas-tank!
(2) Currently we have the county solid waste authority forcing a ‘mandatory-fee’ upon every household in this county whether you bury trash in their open-dump or not – to the point that upwards to ONE-THIRD of the approximate 3400 households left in this county have judgments against them for not paying the ‘fee’ that is SUPPOSED TO BE EXEMPT FOR SENIOR CITIZENS and anyone else on a ‘FIXED-INCOME’! Meanwhile Ed Riley has controlled all the PCSWA funds for 25 years – instead of the Office of the Sheriff by law – and Riley has in excess of $2.5 MILLION in CDs (Certificate of Deposits) – not to mention the $800,000+ that seems to be currently missing or ‘misplaced’!
(3) Then we have a few unfortunate households in Durbin & Marlinton that have had or will have their water turned off because of existing financial burdens – in which folks have to choose between the BASIC NECESSITIES of Food, Clothing & Shelter – or choose to pay for heat, water, taxes, or MEDICINE or MEDICAL COPAYS…but not for everything since there is not enough money each month to go around!
(4) Now comes the School-Tax-Levy request in which the ‘sob-stories’ are meant to make each of us feel sorry for the po’-School Administrators – EACH RECEIVING SALARIES of $80,000 - $125,000+ PER YEAR – while almost 80% of the county is on SS, SSD, or MINIMUM-WAGE! Remember dear-ole self-serving Alice Irvine, she held as many as THREE administrative positions at the same time and received a salary for each putting her around $100+K per/year, and she even was in charge of the Federal Grant money – until $500,000 of a $4-Million grant could not be accounted for, even after a half-dozen accountants & accounting firms keep trying to find those ‘misplaced’ funds on the ‘official-books’! Now Alice is in retirement!
[And this is the same Alice once married to the late-Dolan Irvine, the self-serving County Assessor of three-decades+ who NEVER RAISED ANY TAXES ON HIS OWN LANDS – while raising every other county landowner between 20% - 30% while he was county assessor!]
(5) Now consider this: the total number of students attending all three schools in this county is around 1100 or less, yet the School Board is receiving funds for 1400 students – via a ‘cap’ that Walt Helmick provided when he was a state senator – so that’s over 300 students that DO NOT EXIST, yet the School Board is being paid by both the federal & state for those empty seats every day!
(6) And let’s consider a $100,000 salary, for example:
$100,000 divided by 52 weeks = $1923 per/week;
Divided by a 5-day working week = $385 per/day;
Divided by a 7-day week = $275 EVERY DAY OF
THE YEAR! These amounts are NOT for the school
teachers – but for the school administrators! They
already make more in a single day than those
working @ Minimum-Wage make in a week!
[These facts are not an ‘attack’ against the current school administrators or the teachers – all their salaries are set by the State Legislature – but these facts are being presented to show THE DISPARITY of income between so-called ‘PUBLIC SERVANTS’ and the average-income of those of us who make up the ‘PUBLIC’! The irony of the timing of this request is that as a county we currently have the BEST SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION that this county has seen in the past half-century – BUT NO ONE HAS SHOWN HOW THE RANK & FILE CITIZEN IS SUPPOSED TO AFFORD SUCH ‘LUXURIES’ as another ‘TAX’ – Usually affording ‘LUXURIES’ occurs during times-of-plenty, not lean-years!]
(7) Let’s further consider that the school administrators receive a ‘severance-tax’ for each gallon of oil, each cubic-foot of natural gas, every tree cut in the forest, and each ton of coal extracted from West Virginia! THOSE FUNDS are supposed to go to offset any additional expenses the school may require – but how many remember that EACH school administrator received an 8% - 10% PAY RAISE FOR THEMSELVES while 10 teachers & 10 staff-members were laid off just a couple of years back? The disparity is much worse as a reality than the necessity of yet another ‘TAX’ upon ourselves!
(8) Consider also that once the new WASTE-
TREATMENT PLANT is completed at the base of Snowshoe, all homeowners on the mountain and all those in the Public Service District, such as Durbin, etc., will see a dramatic INCREASE in their monthly sewage bills! Do they really need an ADDITIONAL SCHOOL-TAX-LEVY that is supposed to exist in 5-YEAR INCREMENTS? And aren’t our current county commissioners currently contemplating ANOTHER NEW ‘TAX’ upon each household under the pretense of ‘fire-protection’? What’s next – a new fire-engine every year for each substation? Or new armored-Hummers for the Sheriff & each Deputy?
(9) And consider that BOTH Durbin & Marlinton need
new drinking-water facilities – so do those folks
really need an ADDITIONAL SCHOOL-TAX-LEVY
that once implemented can be RENEWED EVERY
(10) Don’t we all have to live within our current means –
regardless of income – don’t we all just have to do
the best we can? Unlike school administrators,
government workers, or business-owners – the rank
& file Citizen DOES NOT GET AUTOMATIC PAY-
RAISES! When was the last time SS, SSD,
unemployment, or the Minimum-Wage was raised
to meet the current COST-OF-LIVING (COL) as the
Congress & State Legislature VOTED TO RAISE for
themselves? THE DISPARITY IS TOO GREAT!
Let’s face the realities of the current situation – the total population of full-time residents is now down to about 8400 Citizens – the majority of which are on ‘fixed-incomes’ in one form or another and at the bottom-end of the economic -scale – so WHO REALLY CAN AFFORD YET ANOTHER TAX TO TAKE FOOD & BASIC NECESSITIES AWAY FROM THE TABLE? The straight answer is – NO ONE! You can’t beat a dead-horse, you can’t get blood from a stone, and you can’t collect TAXES in a WAR-WEARY-ECONOMY from folks on fixed-incomes, being paid minimum-wages, or being unemployed! MAYBE IF WE HAD ‘UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE’ – as those in Congress – and no more Medical 20% Co-payments for doctor, hospital, Medicare & Medicaid, etc. there would be some bread left-over on the table in the form of crumbs – but that will only occur IF the DEMOCRATS win a majority in both houses of Congress! Until then… let the school administrators place ‘collection-cans’ at local stores & gas stations & Snowshoe & Silver Creek so folks can drop in some loose change! And it’s shamefully ironic isn’t it, that some of the very same folks pushing for a school-tax-levy upon every household & property-owner in this county are the very ones living on the property of the NRAO so THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PAY ANY PROPERTY TAXES – or solid waste ‘fees’! Hypocrites indeed!
JUST VOTE ‘NO’ ON THE SCHOOL BOND LEVY!
Also Just VOTE ‘NO’ on the Boy Scout question! LET’S NOT CHANGE THE STATE CONSTITUTION TO BENEFIT the Boy Scouts of America in Fayette County – above and beyond everyone else – the ramifications are too far-reaching!
LASTLY, LET’S NOT FORGET THAT THE INCESSANT WARS OF THE LAST THREE-DECADES HAS ALL BUT DRAINED THIS COUNTY DRY…let alone killed, maimed & wounded untold numbers of American Youth…who need long-term care! Meanwhile the ruling-regime now proclaims the National Debt is $18 TRILLION = $1,000,000 PER/PERSON!
Well, at least THAT SOLUTION is simple: LET’s REPUDIATE THE DEBT – Nationalize all banks – and reinstitute the UNITED STATES TREASURY BANKING system and issue U.S Notes as ‘debt-free-currency’, instead of paying ‘usury’ for the privately-owned Federal Reserve Notes (FRNs) that causes the national debt – as was planned by President John F. Kennedy right up to the moment the BULLETS took his life! We still have lots of work to do to restore a proper balance – don’t we?
This is Pocahontas County – NOT ‘SHERWOOD FOREST’ IN NOTTINGHAM, ENGLAND – so
NO NEW TAXES!
THAT’S WHY, as important as this mid-term election is, ordinarily we’d say VOTE STRAIGHT DEMOCRAT to keep the SOCIAL SAFETY NET & MEET the SOCIAL NEEDS of everyone – but since the two Democrat candidates for County Commission are so inept by lacking the knowledge and skills necessary to govern a county –
COMPARED TO THE TWO EXPERIENCED REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES FOR COUNTY COMMISSION – we say
Vote Democrat at every level EXCEPT for County Commission…
For COUNTY COMMISSION: VOTE FOR…
Charles Wilfong who is perhaps the most experienced and successful farmer this county has ever seen – besides working for all farmers in this state in the leadership of the West Virginia State Farm Bureau…
Norman Lee Alderman who has never stopped trying to benefit the folks of this county in all his various efforts as a school teacher, pastor, former county commissioner, and editor of his powerful Website –
On 04 NOVEMBER…there’s no excuse…
IT’S YOUR CHOICE…
TO CHANGE THINGS FOR THE BETTER!
Just say ‘NO’ to those who want to keep this county in Poverty & Pauperism
– and –
Just say ‘YES’ to real Progress & Prosperity for the future!
On Election Day – YOU have a chance to elect two persons that will always put YOU first! They know that:
THE GREATER COMMON GOOD ALWAYS COMES BEFORE SELF OR ANY SELF-SERVING SPECIAL INTERESTS!
Keep up to Date – Stay tuned to these Websites:
On 04 NOVEMBER it doesn’t matter how you are registered – YOU CAN VOTE for:
CHARLES WILFONG – ND
NORMAN LEE ALDERMAN - SD
The Pocahontas Crier is an independent Internet News Service that has now endorsed
two candidates for County Commission
– CHARLES WILFONG & NORMAN LEE ALDERMAN –
in addition to providing in depth news reporting on important issues directly affecting the Citizens of Pocahontas County!
Email comments & suggestions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
► The Pocahontas Crier is a free, non-subscription, Internet News Service meant for entertainment in the true ‘muckraking’ tradition of questioning authority, challenging corruption, exposing impropriety and the appearance of impropriety, and offering Common Sense Alternatives for The Greater Common Good before Self or any Special Interests! We struggle for Social Justice on all fronts and are an integral part of The Crier Coalition of Internet News Services comprised of
The Pocahontas Commentator, The Pocahontas Crier,
Signal Fires of WV, & Rolling Thunder in association with
Echoes from the Holl’r. ◄